Main Menu

My life, My coding

Started by Rx7man, May 27, 2015, 09:09:36 AM

hakcenter

I feel like I don't actually have a 32gal tank
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

you mean you're filling up more often than you figure you should?
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

hakcenter

I get absolute ass distance from my tank. My hand calcs get me around 16.7 - 17.3 I rarely see long long long freeways to get into the 20s. But at best I'm down to 1/8th @ 380 on the trip meter... fill up at best 22gal sometimes rare 23
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

what gears do you have? 3.55's I'm going to guess? you ought to be doing much better.. How was it before the VGT? 

If you can hook up a exhaust gas pressure guage (if you don't have one), see what your cruising backpressure is... I found if my backpressure is under 10 psi my mileage goes up... a lot of people think the turbo is turned by "free" energy... that's a lie.. it's just more efficient than using a supercharger.. the less you have to spin the turbo, the less backpressure you make, and the more efficient you'll run... Once I get things hooked up, I'm going to do some testing and see on steady cruising just how big I can open the VGT before I get either smoke or high EGT's... I may be able to have it pretty much wide open for 1800RPM cruise at low throttle positions, though I'll have to make it kinda snap closed if I put my foot down so it come back alive quickly

hakcenter

I'm guessing its just air in my fuel lines. Everytime I go to bleed them, there is always a ton of air, and it takes forever to bleed it all out. It never prevents it from starting.. no matter how long I go between bleeding, its just a total pain in the ass. The longer it stays running the more there seems to be.

I used to get 18-19 before I started tinkering with crap, then the lift pump died, etc

Rx7man

for the air, check the fuel heater, I've seen them leak at the electrical connections, also check the hose from the fuel heater to the lift pump... those are the most likely suspects.

Living in cali, you can just delete the fuel heater altogether.. you'll never gel fuel down there.. I think it takes a 17mm to unscrew the sediment bowl, then a 5/16th (8mm) allen key to unscrew the fuel heater, then you put the sediment bowl back on without the heater... and clean out the screen while you're at it!

air in the fuel lines doesn't explain the bad mileage though.

hakcenter

I ditched the entire fuel heater setup last year. I'm going to try to fass this year and hope it works out cause that's all I got left.

When I bleed the injectors all but cylinder 1 bleed well. First nothing but the low growl. Then a bit of foam eventually. Then fuel shoots out in a nice controlled spray. If I come back to the same injector after going down the line it still sprays great.

All except #1. To bleed that injector I actually have to close and open the nut. If I leave it open it actually seems to bleed down and get zero pressure though the truck still rumbles like normal when bleeding them and goes away when I close it.

Always bothered me. It was a fleet truck, no crazy mods.. Pretty much untouched minus a few weird repairs. No cranked barrels, stock fuel plate etc.

Even put in new injectors 6mo ago just because.

Rx7man

that's weird...

On a different site I got an offer on injector pumps that seems too good to be true.. P pumps for $400, new, made in mexico

hakcenter

Rx7man

Yeah, that's what I'm kinda wondering about... apparently it's a BDS pump?

Rx7man

Been doing some work with chainsaws again... the saw you see here is about 40 years old... and I've ported it pretty much to the max.. It's a Husqvarna L65, originally rated at 3.8hp, I think I'm close to 6 hp now, it's a whole different animal.

Here's a vid of my buddy's Jonsered 920 I ported for him, narrated by a fellow I was giving a demo for, he sounds like a play-by-play announcer at a hockey game.
don't know how to embed youtube here, so here's a link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy7IE3cm4rM

And relating to the farm, Here's a steer I really think ought to go to a 4H project or FFA.. really nice guy that with a little prissying up might just win a kid a show :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5DgVoecp_E

At my buddy's place (who bought this bull from me 3 years ago), Hector seems to remember me just fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj3vC0oLJY0

I've got another couple vids to upload (of the Husky saw).  As fall time rolls around I'll get more into coding again for the VGT, as well as doing the hardware install.

Rx7man

And I placed my Mouser order.. pocketbook is a little lighter now but I should have (most) everything I need for a few projects

hakcenter

Rx7man

couple parts are on backorder for my Mouser order.. they're taking their sweet time about it.

Did a head gasket on my buddy's truck last night, was up til 3 am.. and damn am I sore from sitting under that hood for 5 hours... all said and done, my buddy is really happy it's leak free and he can go hunting with peace of mind.

hakcenter, have you ever changed the timing on your truck?  coming to think of it that could be a part of the problem it runs like ass when it's cold, and gets crappy mileage too... I find about 1/4" to 5/16" of additional advance (on the edge of the harmonic balancer) over and above the 'pin timing' is good for most stock-ish setups...

hakcenter

I made my own plunger setup from a 6$ oil pan bolt from vatozone. Added a set screw to my drop plunger and measure the lift on the pump.

I've set my timing all over the place, and nada. 13*, 10* 16*, nothing really helps. I did install a FASS 150 last week. I get some weird cavitating noises from it, going to call them eventually when I have time. Tried of getting soaked in diesel fuel figuring it out myself.

Truck runs amazingly better. No injector bleed problem anymore. Just installed the OFV060HP from torktek to get pressure up. I may have a restriction in the return line. Using a DS1, with everything going to it.