Main Menu

V1.1 setup newbie

Started by Chummins, January 30, 2017, 05:30:29 PM

Chummins

I'm looking into purchasing a v1.1 arduino sheild.  Couple of newbie question if you guys don't mind.  Is there a way to change the tune on the fly .. like put some sort of a switch on the dash .  And if I do any tuning with the arduino, does it have to stay mated to the sheild all the time? . From what I understand you can use the sheild as is correct? 
00 GMC CCSB classic 12valve P-pump/nv4500
04 legacy i with Full JDM Bp5/ej20y swap
88 Silverado RCLB W/corvette 350 TPI/700r4
Nothing stays stock here! 🏁😆🏁

Bdubb'z

You wont be disappointed, the shield works well.  You can use a switch or potentiometer or whatever means you wish to switch tunes (tables) on the fly.  For instance, on my setup I use a potentiometer for a manual mode.  When not in manual mode I divide the potentiometer into segments that I can use to select different tables while in automatic operation.  Works really well. 

Yes the shield has to remain connected at all times of operation or the turbo will not remain in a position. 

You can use the shield as is.  As long as your VR sensor is working.  Its designed to utilize shaft rpm so that's all you really need. 

Chummins

Thanks for the reply Bdubb'z.  I'm not sure for far I'm gonna get into code mods. I just can seem to wrap my head around the lingo !! :o :o. Lol but I was thinking of putting a switch to switch fron normal to performance modes. I'm thinking once I have my map jumpers set I'm not going to change them much .

For the sheild being plugged in , I meant does the shield always have to be mated to the arduino for the system to work??  Or can the sheild run the turbo on its own without the arduino attached.

Not sure what all sensors are integrated in that turbo   but the only real data I'd like to know is a real time shaft speed. So once I'm all setup and working I'm gonna look into putting a data screen if possible.

Rx7man

the arduino and the shield and the turbo need to be connected at all times.. the Arduino is the "brains", the shield is the translator, and the turbo does the work.
yes, you can read shaft speed easily, I have a 20x4 line display I'm eventually going to get to installing and programming... I'd also like to interface a Raspberry Pi into the system at some point but that might take a while
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

Chummins

That clears everything up thanks. I will be posting my build soon in a new thread.

Chummins

Just ordered a 1.1 !! can't wait to see that turbo in action 🖒🏁🏁 I'm stoked ! Just have to build the engine now ! 😎

Bdubb'z

Cool, keep us updated.  The LBB makes the initial start very simple.  Upload the sample code and bam, you're ready. 

After you get up and running and feel comfortable with the base setup, you don't have to use the jumper on the shield.  You can install a switch or a pot and use that for the 'jumper'. 

I use a pot on mine and that gives me manual mode via a switch, but switch down (automatic (rpm) mode), I then twist the pot to select which curve the code uses.  Just like the jumper does.

Is your chev conversion the square nose? I can't remember if in 2000 the 3/4-1 ton trucks had switched to the newer body style. Are you making your motor mounts and not doing a body lift?

Chummins

Yes the 00 is the last of the 88-98 body style. This one happeneds to be a crew cab short box (only 2 year truck) it's a 2500 with 6cp option  (HD).  It's my DD for a year now . I love it so much I'm building another motor for it.  Once I start on the swap I will make another build tread. Keep up guys posted with my issues ! 😆 I fab every thing myself.  No body lift running 33's now .

me78569

You have no idea how badly I want that swap. Ian so happy with how my engine performs and so unhappy with everything else.
2000 Dodge 2500 quad-cab 5.9 Cummins slt, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr iquad, 4" tbe , pureflow 150 gph. he351ve in the works 100hp DFI inj

Chummins

QuoteYou have no idea how badly I want that swap. Ian so happy with how my engine performs and so unhappy with everything else.
Thanks,
This has been one of my favorite builds so far . I'm just trying to improve all the time on it now. Everybody that drives my truck cant believe how well it drives and runs. My main goal for this truck was to get decent fuel mileage with hauling the famjam and the RV around. So far no gasser buddies have even come close and still getting better than some new Duramax's ;D . That might change later ....

This is what it looks like as of last summer ... im ditching the step side this summer , rattles to much PITA , I like my vehicles to sound solid lol .

Rx7man

Looks a fair bit like a dually that's cruising around our town.. he got taken to the cleaners on his engine build though.. it's a '89 cummins, no IC, etc... smokes like heck and doesn't make any power

Chummins

Right now I'm running 94 engine (160 p-pump) with a nv 4500 . Guessing around 200 - 250 hp now.  These trucks were only available for 2 years and was a "in bettween years" for the 01 2500hd model change over . This model with the short box was never available dually and only available in either 350 or 454 gas auto😝👎.   I put the step side box just for kicks but I don't care for it much . I have a brand new short box waiting to go on too cold to work on it now !  As for power we can always use more power ! 👍😉

Chummins

Oh and the 94-98 intercooler it's stuffed in there too . Along with the gm factory A/C and cruise control.

Rx7man

Must have been quite the shoehorning to get it to all fit!

Nothing stays stock around here either.. my truck has a new engine, different trans, tcase, front hubs, gears, paint, bumper, deck, turbo (obviously), and probably a pile of other stuff I'm forgetting.. The frame.. that might be stock!

hakcenter

TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.