Started by Bonez34, September 06, 2015, 04:43:36 PM

Rx7man

Hmm.. I just noticed I kinda repeated myself there :P
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

Bonez34

Yeah it won't be hard at all to service so I guess we'll see.  I envision it taking me about 15 minutes to remove.

hakcenter

Shaft speed has to be up, to help seal or it'll blow oil too.

Seals are located at both ends of the bearing housing. These seals represent a difficult design problem due to the need to keep frictional losses low, the relatively large movements of the shaft due to bearing clearance and adverse pressure gradients under some conditions.

These seals primarily serve to keep intake air and exhaust gas out of the center housing. The pressures in the intake and exhaust systems are normally higher than in the turbocharger's center housing which is typically at the pressure of the engine crankcase. As such, they would primarily be designed to seal the center housing when the pressure in the center housing is lower than in the intake and exhaust systems. These seals are not intended to be the primary means of preventing oil from escaping from the center housing into the exhaust and air systems. Oil is usually prevented from contacting these seals by other means such as oil deflectors and rotating flingers.

Turbocharger seals are different from the soft lip seals normally found in rotating equipment operating at much lower speeds and temperatures. The piston ring type seal is one type that is often used. It consists of a metal ring, similar in appearance to a piston ring. The seal remains stationary when the shaft rotates. Labyrinth-type seals are another type sometimes used. Generally turbocharger shaft seals will not prevent oil leakage if the pressure differential reverses such that the pressure in the center housing is higher than in the intake or exhaust systems.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

Good picture (always love cutaways) and description of the function of the seals
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

Bonez34

That is some high quality content.  The owner of this forum should buy you a beer.   :)

hakcenter

TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.