Main Menu

HE300VG

Started by rodn, October 10, 2017, 01:21:23 PM

rodn

hi guys
does anyone have a log of J1939 data from a HE300VG or calibration packet information they could share
trying to get this thing to talk on the bench

thanks a lot
Rod

hakcenter

the 300VG communicates exactly like the older 351ve actuator. The addressing, commands, everything is exactly the same.

The pin outs are different.

From the wiki : holset_vgt [Lil' Blackbox]

I will say, with the limited time I had with a unit in my hands. It would not zero out, if the gear was manually moved out of spec while the unit was off. So if your unit isn't moving or anything at startup, try to manipulate it by hand and then power it. Eventually you'll find a direction that works. Once it zero's out... you will be able to communicate with it.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

rodn

thanks a lot for the reply
yes that's exactly what is happening.. it is communicating through the CAN, a 351ve talks no problem
when i plug in the 300 it just grunts and moves a 1/4 of a tooth.. have a spare second one that does the same thing
I tried turning each of them about a tooth at a time (until I wore the end of my thumb off)   :(

there has to be a command you would think to send to this thing to get it to zero?

ideas anyone?

thanks again

hakcenter

The calibrate command is the same as the send position command, if you're using an arduino to talk to it, but instead of the 0x01 byte, change it to 0x02.

byte lo_byte = lowByte(final_vane_position);
byte hi_byte = highByte(final_vane_position);
byte data[] = { lo_byte, hi_byte, 0x01, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF }; // data message with an added counter
// data[2] = 0x02 for recalibrating gearbox
// Load message and send
send_turbo_position(data);

If you think it's working, just try to send it 900 position.
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

I had to do this on my 351 when I moved the vanes manually when reassembling it after a turbine swap
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

rodn

no luck with either of them tries moving the gear and powering it up until I wore my thumb off, while cycling power, while sending data... thinking there must be a zeroing command that has to be sent to the box.. it is alive and I have 2 way can  (send and receive) the motor jogs when powered .. moves about 1/2 a tooth and that's all.

any more suggestions or ideas I can try guys?

thanks again

hakcenter

what are you using to send it data ?

rodn

using arduino
I can talk to a 351ve no problem and it can move and calibrate no problem...

feel like there is a missing link for the HE300VG as far as a command to send to it to establish a 0 reference

thanks for the help

hakcenter

like i said, i had one in hand, it was a pita just moving it until it finally would accept commands.

The direction that it tries to zero to just keep spinning it by hand that way. and powering it every 1/4 turn

rodn

you are right sir
finally got one to work and calibrate and moves fine...
kept on moving it a little bit and powering it off and on while sending the calibration 0x02 to it finally it took off and calibrated
funny has to be some sort of command that its looking for to initialize or zero off the unit.. can't see this being the normal way to get these beasts going

thanks again

hakcenter

I'm honestly not sure on startup procedure, I had limited time with the unit. Once you get it zero'd as long as you don't move it accidentally it'll communicate no problem all day :)

Rx7man

It just gets all confused if it gets moved when it's not powered up.. There are two holes on the backplate of the sector gear, I think you might be able to power the the actuator up, then align the hole in the sector gear with the hole that ISN'T at the far open end of the stroke, and assemble it.
Turbolab of america has a little video about it on youtube, I'll try and find it
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

rodn