HE341VE Compatibility

Started by crodgers, February 13, 2019, 12:37:18 PM

crodgers

Hey Guys,

Could someone enlighten me as to whether the lilbb is compatible with an HE341VE? There is little information available on that turbo (unlike the 351), from the little I have found, I've seen mumblings about the 341's controller running on 24volts as opposed to 12volts. The controller itself I'll add is slightly different in form. It it has 3 coolant ports up top, whereas I believe the 351 only has two (inlet and outlet).

I do also have an HE351VE on the shelf that came with the project I'm working on. I'm wondering if I could just swap the controllers across and call this a dead issue? They look to be crosscompatible but I'm unsure whether the actuator arms are different in length or anything. Thought I'd ask  you gents before I dig into it unnecessarily.

Any information is greatly appreciated! I'm about to pull the trigger on the v2 lilbb but need to sort this first :)

Cheers!

hakcenter

Personally I don't know.

Are the connectors the same as the 351 ? Does that turbo have a shaft speed sensor ?

I know the 351 and the 300vg all communicate with the same addresses, the 300 just more finicky about starting position.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

crodgers

Gotcha,

Thanks for the info Hak. Yes, the connectors are the same, the 341 appears to have the 300vg style connector, and the 351 obviously has the 351 style. The wire colors are another story. I'll have to get those sorted. Saw another post about that on here.

Whatever I do, I need to stick with the 341 compressor/turbine. My turbo application is on a 3.0L diesel and is plenty large as-is. I did some more reading following this post and found a fellow who swapped the 341 components over to a 351 to make a "hybrid" unit. That netted him the use of the 351's 12volt actuator. He also had a few other reasons for doing that. But I'll see if I can just swap actuators for starters.

Absolute worst case, I'm wondering if a can just run a 24volt step-up transformer, relayed between the actuator and the LilBB, to feed it it's precious gucci gabbana 24volts? The CAN signals should still be 5v for both actuators I would think? 

Rx7man

Can signals will be the same, they're a differential signal and the controller creates it's own power for that.

It's going to be a bit hard to have a step up transformer than can provide decent power, going to need to convert to AC then rectify and smooth it again.  Be much easier to swap controllers.
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles