HE351VE in a 4g63

Started by EvoAuto, July 15, 2015, 12:39:07 AM

EvoAuto

Quote from: Rx7man on September 16, 2015, 05:55:58 PM
There is a possibility that it can spin a 25cm turbo once it gets up to boost, which would mean you still need a wastegate (or bigger turbo)  Rotary engines are notorious for being able to spool large turbos from a small displacement engine.. my buddy had one that put 875rwhp down at 48PSI (a 1.3L engine).. yes, it took it to about 6000RPM to get going, but then it was some kind of crazy, and I'm quite sure that would have had a 25cm housing.. it was about an 80mm compressor inlet.

I'm going to try recalibrating it as per Curtis' instructions and get another log with the two parameters changes to "Long."

hakcenter

This is a 4banger dsm motor.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

EvoAuto

hakcenter

I used to own one, also I make speed density software for the entire 1g series. But that's another story for another life. I know about the platform to say the least.

Next time you're at the car and can program the LBB.

Goto the TIMER1 tab, and change

byte data[] = { lo_byte, hi_byte, 0x01, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF }; // data message with an added counter

to

byte data[] = { lo_byte, hi_byte, 0x02, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF }; // data message with an added counter

Key just to on, and listen to the turbo reset, usually (atleast on mine) it will actually turn off and stop responding.

Change the 0x02 back to 0x01, and reupload, key off / key on. Controller box should be re-centered and calibrated.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Ryan

Ryan

Is it safe to assume this all got worked out and the car is now running 9's in the 1/4?

EvoAuto

Lol. No. I took the car off the road. I'll be taking it to the dyno in the next week or 2. We'll find out what this thing can do. I'll take some videos and post the results.

Rx7man

'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

65fpvmustang

Hi i'm new i have been running a he351ve on a 2.3l lima (ford turbo coupe) in a 83 ranger for around 2 years now. Using a spring and pneumatic cylinder. I see .5 psi at 1500rpm 5 at 2500 rpm 10 to 12psi at 3000 and 26 psi around 4000rpm. all with exhaust pressure 3psi above boost. It will run 1 to 1 just about any where. above 12psi i can get boost 1psi above drive pressure. I plan to switch to electric control. The vans soot up on gasoline and don't want to open all the way after about a month of dd. I run mostly on lpg so it's a none issue.
I'm building a duplicate engine to replace the one i took out of my 65 mustang.

Somthing to think about is using shaft speed to limit boost. will provide more boost at lower engine rpm and less at higher engine rpm. as the engine breaths more with higher rpm the turbo shaft speed has to increase. to increase air flow maintaining boost pressure. this could be good if your pushing your fuel injector limits.
i have data logged turbo shaft speed at boost all the way to 33psi. if your interested.

Ryan

65fpvmustang

watch your EBP to boost ratio when tuning.
once EBP is 6psi over boost I get what sounds like a miss.
But it is violent compressor surge.
It shows up in data log boost pressure drops then returns.
afr goes extra rich then comes back. Exhaust pressure falls also.
Above 14psi boost steady state should be running 1 to 1 or better.

Ryan

EvoAuto

DSM is still alive. Lol
Haven't really touched it in a few months due getting another car and our shops been very busy with customer projects as well. I will be changing the setup but keeping the turbo. Didn't get a chance to go to the Dyno but will right after the changes.

I also got another HE351VE to put into my new car which is an Evo 6 from Japan. Looks like it will be much easier to install into due to the turbo's facing the left side. Don't need to worry about controller clearing the block. I don't expect to finish this project any time soon though. The talon is first priority as it will be up for sale as soon as I'm finally done with it.

Ryan

EvoAuto

Back from the dead. I actually ended up selling the car to a friend who promised to keep the setup. Finally got it on dyno last night. Made 464whp at 24psi on a dyno dynamics dyno using e85. Graph and video on my Instagram @sourajtuned.  I didn't do too much with the vgt settings as I was on a time crunch.

It's on the old 1.1 firmware in performance mode map 1. I plan on updating the firmware as well as the hardware so that we can tune the Turbo on Android.

Btw this is using a wastegate for boost control. I have to start reading the documentation that Curtis provided to optimise it. Will keep updating as we go.