HE351ve questions

Started by no_smokn, April 15, 2017, 01:16:34 PM

no_smokn

ok...i got a FREE he351ve that blew an oil seal...from what i was told...but was sitting out in the elements for a while now...there's oxidation on the compressor housing and actuator housing...the oil/water jackets weren't plugged...so it's pretty rough...BUT the wheels spin free and no play.

i'm wondering if it's worth rebuilding?  i realize i really won't know until i take it apart and have a deeper look.  There's kits on eBay for $260 with both wheels.

are the water jackets used when used on 12v cummins?  i know there are a couple of folks here with them.

how did you do your down pipes?  i still have the elbow connected on mine.

thanks.

BJ

hakcenter

So on my 12v i got the T3/T4 adapter plate on ebay for a couple bucks.

I bought the HE351 downpipe from DAP, #907001. I can't remember but I'm pretty sure it had the wrong flange on it.. so i just cut the ring off the elbow I had when I got the turbo and cut the downpipes ring off, and just welded it on, bolts right up.

I don't run coolant through mine, but the oil drain line.. I made myself from 1/2" emt conduit I bent to fit, welded into 1/4" plate I cut and drilled to match the oil drain stuff :)

Definitely worth rebuilding,  I bought a HX35 rebuild kit 35-45$, cause everything is exactly the same minus the thrust plate. When I took mine apart, it honestly looked great except the rear seal obviously had been letting oil go.

I wouldn't worry about the wheels, just clean em up. Mine even have serious nicks on it, not sure from what yet. Still makin da powah thou.

Taking it apart, is seriously super easy, I did my seals in less than 30 minutes and I never rebuilt a turbo in my life. You can watch this video if you wanna see just how simple it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxEToI0Rs5w
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

Yes, it's pretty easy to do.. I wouldn't recommend taking the actuator off though as there is some specific configuration it has to go together in..

Doing the seals and bearings is easy though.. I do believe the compressor nut is left hand thread though.. the exhaust housing can be a little bit challenging to remove and put back together, just takes patience.
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

Rx7man

I do recommend using the water jacket.. I figure they were put there for a reason.. not cheap if the actuator fries.

no_smokn

took it apart...the nozzle (i think) is frozen, the rust in the oil and water jacket in the cartridge is pretty rusted... :'(

not sure i can rebuild this without taking it completely apart...then i have NO way to recalibrate the actuator...

could this be used as a core?

BJ

Rx7man

it probably would be a good core.. I'd buy it off you if you weren't too far away (everyone is far away from me)

no_smokn

LOL...i'm in hawaii...i'm pretty far from everyone as well.

i'll tear it apart further to get a better looksy before i decide to do anything else.

we'll see...

thanks.

BJ

Rx7man

It ought to move if you apply power to the 12v pins on it.. they usually do on every power up even without comms.. might be enough to see if it works.

no_smokn

Rx7man - yeah...I was wondering that.  i'll try and see what happens.

Hakcenter - does the lilbb have code to calibrate the VE turbo by chance?  Me78569 told me he had some code to calibrate the turbo that could be used on the lilbb, but I don't really know how to code.  I can comment out things and such...but makes me nervous :-).

BJ

hakcenter

I know how to calibrate the turbo, but it seems to be hit or miss if the turbo requires a restart. IE Key on/ key off.

I was going to build a calibrate command and then code it into the android app as well, just time has been my biggest problem. You can simply change 1 variable to force it to calibrate, then upload, swap variable back, upload, done.

And honestly the best thing to do is to just power the unit on while it is off the turbo housing it'll auto zero anyways, then unplug it, put it on the turbo with the vanes in the full open position (all the way out of the vanes, not locked into them). You will however need to push the piston into the vanes to line it all up, so just move the arm the opposite way when you're ready to put the controller back on.
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

There are two types of calibration that can be done, and I have no idea how to do the second one.. Steed talks about it in his demo videos

hakcenter

Probably just manually sweeping. I've checked all the code variables, doesn't seem to be anything but 0x02 or 0x01

no_smokn

what's the longevity of these turbos?  does the VGT/vanes/actuator get gummed up frequently in a non 6.7l install?

i keep going back and forth between this turbo and non vgt turbo...but i WANT/NEED the exhaust brake too.

thanks.

BJ

me78569

I have ~ 50k on mine and it is still gunk free.  For a sub 450 hp I think you would be hard pressed to find a better turbo.
2000 Dodge 2500 quad-cab 5.9 Cummins slt, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr iquad, 4" tbe , pureflow 150 gph. he351ve in the works 100hp DFI inj

no_smokn

that's good to know.  the reason i ask is it seems that my ve turbo won't be able to be rebuilt...been sitting outside in the rain a little too long...so after looking at new turbos and exhaust brakes, still can't seem to find a better replacement for a ve turbo dollar for dollar per HP potential.

heck...even the stage 1 and 2 VE turbos are still "affordable" when comparing the hp level and the cost of e-brake.

thoughts?  i'm sure the lilbb will be able to control these turbos as well?

thanks.

BJ