He431ve pwm input from ecu to canbus actuator

Started by n0v0s, February 04, 2020, 02:29:42 PM

n0v0s

Hi!

I have a bmw 330d (common rail, piezo injection 3.0td) that uses Bosch edc16 engine management. It drives the original Garrett gtb2260v vnt turbo using a Hella actuator and pwm data signal.

I have a holset he431ve (29cm) that uses a (I think) 24v can-bus actuator, the big heavy duty version of the actuator as you'll know - it's water cooled and very hefty. With gearing on the 3phase motor.

My original plan was to run the holset with the Hella actuator, but I don't think it'll last or work well as the Garretts use pivot vanes that are very light and easy to move compared to the holset vgt sliding mechanism.

That means I have to get the holset actuator working. Is there any way an Arduino based on control unit like the LBB that is somehow able to utilise the original edc16 pwm signal Input to output a canbus signal to control the holset?

This would allow me to retain the ecu control and have some hope of spooling this monster turbo adequately.

Otherwise I'm limited to boost pressure actuator or possibly even trying to use two Hella actuators to operate the vgt in parralel. Not sure it would still work.

Any input or direction would be greatly received. Thanks and sorry for the lengthy post.

hakcenter

The LBB is a complete standalone unit, if you want to add external logic programming, you can. You'd need to measure your PWM and put it down to a 5v signal so it's measurable if you wanted to go that way, but the control logic built into the LBB is quite out standing.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

the biggest hurdle i see is the 24v actuator for the holset.. do you have a good 24V source?
Perhaps as 12V version from a 351VE could be put on in?

After that, I think it would be quite trivial to make the LBB take a PWM input and convert it to something the Holset actuator can use
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles