Main Menu

New here

Started by Projecthj, August 22, 2016, 11:17:03 AM

Projecthj

Hey guys, I'm new here and looking to get my 01 outfitted with the 351ve turbo... have turbo and manifold already... looking to control it... I like your set up... what is total cost and how hard is it to get it operating?

Projecthj

Been reading through the posts here, and getting a little excited about ordering one...  Never messed with arduino but been research that seems like a fun new way to tune in some accessories...

hakcenter

The common code is pretty much drop and go. You may need to tune the idle and top end depending on what kind of motor the turbo is going on, but it is very simple.

cost of ownership isn't that much for an arduino shield, the full blown unit will be substantially more, but it includes more and is more of a drop in solution.

Just getting a shield, then you need an arduino, then you need to figure out where to put it and how to keep it safe, etc etc etc. And no bluetooth connectivity so you'll need to figure out a usb cable to laptop.. etc

Either way, there is no need for fancy sensors, just controlling the turbo off of its own shaft speed sensor, it has amazing spoolup characteristics. Spoolup could be even faster if you add in RPM from your vehicle, and a TPS (which is possible)

I would wait to buy, to see how my 2.0 design works out. My enclosures are supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I should have one on my truck by the end of the day. The android app is also coming along pretty well. I need a bit more time to write more code for the LBB so I can store values permanently into the unit.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Projecthj

Thanks for the info... I was think of getting a few arduinos, one to get readings from OBDII and one for 7" touch screen... the use can bus to have them talk to each other.

me78569

Reading data from the obd is slow and next to useless in terms of using the info to control the turbo.  I dunno if you just wanna see the 6 or so sensors passed through the obd or if you wanted to try and use it for controlling the turbo, but by the time the enginw rpm reading comes through the obd  the turbo is way way ahead of the reading.

It is neat to mess with just don't get your hopes up.  The entire computer system on a 2nd gen Dodge is a rats nest of non standard protocols / pids and slow baudrates.

2000 Dodge 2500 quad-cab 5.9 Cummins slt, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr iquad, 4" tbe , pureflow 150 gph. he351ve in the works 100hp DFI inj

Rx7man

Welcome!

Arduinos are VERY fun to play with, and very suited for these applications.. HOWEVER, I don't recommend trying to do anything with large displays, they're very clunky and SLOOOOW for that.. I would recommend a Raspberry Pi, beaglebone, or similar to do anything with displays other than little LCD's (and they can do sooo much more as well... internet, music, video, backup/security/dash cams, wifi and etc)
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

Projecthj

Thanks for the info guys... like I said I'm new to this and just starting the research...

65fpvmustang

your in the right place to learn, took me years to find this place.
great bunch of guys willing to help.

Projecthj

So is it better to just pull data straight from the TSP than from the ECM?

me78569

Pull the data from the ECM only if you are doing so via the canbus wires under the hood. 

The obd plug under the dash is too slow to be useful.

I would pull tps from the sensor though, so much easier
2000 Dodge 2500 quad-cab 5.9 Cummins slt, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr iquad, 4" tbe , pureflow 150 gph. he351ve in the works 100hp DFI inj