P7100 Pump Woes foundered and fixedered

Started by hakcenter, June 17, 2015, 06:02:28 PM

hakcenter

Man.

I've had nothing but pretty much terrible luck with GSK's in my truck. Since the original 3ks in my truck, that worked well.. but I wasn't really happy with the touchy throttle and the semi-runaway it liked to do... but then loosening them made idle pretty much impossibru cause raising it, made it have weird high rpm holds around 1200.

Soooo when I put #60 springs I got the 4k kit, sold my 3k kit. Installed and things were okay, not perfect but pretty much the same as before but to 4k. As of the last few months, cold mornings have been an extreme pain in the butt. Truck idles great, but any load but 1st gear, made the truck literally puff smoke / nothing / puff smoke, like it was running out of fuel every other rotation starting out in 2nd without any real load while it was cold.

It wasn't a deal breaker, but I just dealt with it. As of late, I've had pretty much idle, and then nothing between idle and 1200. It either goes to 1200, or it gets loaded up starting out, then falls back to idle ie its face, then a bit more pedal and off she goes.

It has been really really really frustrating, especially this week since I've been getting up early for jobs. So I finally said f it, and took the GSK apart.. cause I'm either running out of fuel at idle load, or its the pump or the kit.

Low and behold the first spring kit I take apart, the inner spring was bound up ultra tight into the next spring! It took a lot of negotiation at the vise and with a screw driver to separate them. Looks like the ends of the inner spring were a bit wider than they should of, and totally bound up in the spring.

Took the next set out, and no problems... so I've just left the 4k spring out for now, contacting DAP hopefully they can get me new 4k inners...

And the truck is amazing again off idle. No chugging / out of fuel thingy whatever you wanna call it, it was more like a choo choo puff nada puff nada puff, and off it goes. Will hold any rpm between idle and 1200 now without special pedal procedure lol!

TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

Wondering if that's what's up with my pump.. it feels like it has a sticky rack linkage.. sometimes it behaves right at idle, other times it really hunts.. cold mornings you have have to keep your foot on it or it'll fall on its face.. I have 3500 RPM springs in mine

My truck used to really buck if you were putzing around in a high gear (ie 35mph in the city in 5th), but since I changed the springs it behaves much better
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

hakcenter

I'm glad I pulled it apart, nothing I could google brought me any answers of my exact symptoms.
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

hakcenter

Rx7man

That's cool and good of them!
I might have to take mine apart and see if that's the problem I'm having.. still looking at getting a 215hp pump anyhow though.. perhaps I'll put 4K springs in it..
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles