Starting a new build

Started by Chewy1576, February 12, 2018, 07:34:30 PM

Chewy1576

These engines are notorious for block and head cracks. The metallurgy of the forgings was far too brittle. Some versions were better than others. What year is his truck? Mine is a 1997, supposedly the worst one available. The earlier years were supposedly better. There are aftermarket long blocks with many improvements for replacement. I'm going to run this one until it gives it up, then do one of these improved long blocks or a Duramax swap.

Rx7man

His is around that year or later as well
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

Chewy1576

Nature of the beast with these old 6.5L's unfortunately. They don't like excessive heat or boost. Several mods can be done to improve the engine and oil cooling systems to increase longevity though.

Rx7man

a diesel that doesn't like boost.. sounds like a hooker that only wants to cuddle! :P

Chewy1576

More like a hooker that doesn't like it rough. The stock turbos were painfully inefficient, so the drive pressure needed to generate 18-20  psi of boost coupled with 20:1 compression would blow out head gaskets, make pistons explode, and bend rods in half.

hakcenter

sounds like snake oil to me... LOL
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Chewy1576

GM's early attempt. It's not even meant to be a workhorse like the Cummins and Powerstrokes, but it got better fuel economy, allegedly. Exactly why I wanted to replace the turbo with a much more efficient unit.

Well, now I gone and done it... I was trying to come up with a more permanent solution for the LCD components. I soldered the CAN485 board to a small breadboard, and didn't like the orientation of the right angle FTDI header, so i thought I would just desolder it and flip it around to the other side of the board. Well old ham hands here managed to pry a compnents off of the CAN board, I believe it's a capacitor from the Vin circuit. Think it will be ok without it? Or do i need to try to get it back in there?

Rx7man

I would if you could,  if it is a Vin cap it's to filter out noise.. If you just can't get to it, do you have a pair of neighboring VIN and GND pins? just solder it across there.

Chewy1576

The board powers up and functions without it when connected to my PC through FTDI, so I guess it's okay so far. I'm going to use a voltage reg board to drop 12v down to 6-7v for system power, so maybe it won't be needed.

hakcenter

If you're already filtering power somewhere else before it get's there, you're fine. But noise is bad for 5v components.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.