Starting a new build

Started by Chewy1576, February 12, 2018, 07:34:30 PM

Chewy1576

Hey guys! I've been poking around a few days while I've been waiting to pick up my HE351VE and I've decided on building my own controller instead of buying one. The turbo will be going on a 1997 Chevy K3500 with a 6.5L diesel. I've seen where others have ran this turbo with a spring actuator controlling the VGT, but I want to do it electronically, which is what brought me here. I picked up the used turbo today, off of a 2008 6.7 Cummins, but the actuator could be questionable so I want to get the Arduino built and functioning to test it. I'm looking at a DFRobot Bluno board, either an Uno or Mega equivalent, with on board Bluetooth. I'm wanting to add boost pressure and EGT sensors so the extra IO of the Mega seems appropriate, by your code is really meant for the Uno. I'm leaning toward an assembled CAN shield so I can support this project. I've got IDE installed, Common Code 2.0 open, and most of the libraries, but I can't find the CAN library. When I get the controller talking to and controlling the actuator, I'll finish out the mechanical side of the install and hopefully it runs! One big constraint is that I want to limit a max boost pressure of 12-13 PSI. My engine is stock and any more boost than that will cause problems. I'll be doing head studs and thicker head gaskets in the future to build it up and lower compression to allow for more boost.

What do you guys think? Am I out of my mind or do you think this will work well? Is my max boost limit unrealistic, or can it be kept under control?

hakcenter

Max boost isn't controllable with just vane position you will need a wastegate.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Chewy1576

I was worrying about that. I wonder if I can build the T3 to T4I adapter with a wastegate port. I know that having the wastegate mounted perpendicular to the exhaust flow isn't ideal, but it may be the best I can do. I can tie the wastegate in to the crossover pipe also, but then I am only venting the exhaust pressure from 4 cylinders instead of all 8.

hakcenter

Well let's see what you got ? Pictars ?
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Chewy1576

I'll get some pics tomorrow in the daylight. I'm excited about putting this project together.

I've got IDE installed and running, Common Code 2.0 open, and some of the libraries. Where do you get the CAN library? I didn't see a download link like the others.

hakcenter

If you looked at the first post for the libraries, I have the zips as attachments :)

Chewy1576

There they are! Probably weren't displayed because I wasn't logged in at the time.

Chewy1576

Here's what I'm working with. 6.5L with a stock Borg Warner GM-8 turbo. My thought is to build the adapter with an angle to it to move the turbo toward the intake, giving room on the air box side for the actuator. I want to either pipe the wastegate forward under the center section and compressor or out the side of the adapter, and outlet back into the downpipe. I'm thinking forward will have more room for the wastegate.

hakcenter

Hard to see the manifold and flange. Is the rusted under pipe near the downpipe area the cross over from the other cylinders up to the flange ?

Chewy1576

Yes the rusted pipe is the crossover. To the left of it is the 3.5" downpipe. It will be replaced with a new 2.5" mandrel pipe at some point, more sooner than later. Here's a better pic of the exhaust flange bolted to the manifold. I think I'm leaning toward coming straight out of the adapter toward the front of the truck with the wastegate, then run the vent pipe back, next to the manifold, and into the downpipe. You can see it in the pic to the left of the manifold.

Chewy1576

Another pic I found with the turbo removed. Should be plenty of room for a wastegate up there.

hakcenter

I can't see hood clearance, but if you can space a few inches in your adapter, I would just take the turbo higher, and put the wastegate towards the valve cover, looks like there will be room to pipe it back down the hot side following the down pipe.

Chewy1576

That's a good option also. The CDR (tuna can) plugs into the valve cover through that hole next to the flange so that may be in the way. I was planning on the adapter being 4" or so tall anyway to allow room for a wastegate. I'm thinking 44 mm will be a good size. I need to fab an elbow from the exhaust outlet to the downpipe too. Would there be a problem plumbing the wastegate outlet to the elbow, or is that too close to the exhaust outlet?

hakcenter

Shouldn't matter that close, downstream of course would be best

Rx7man

If you lack clearance on that side, you could probably put a wastegate on the drivers side manifolds.. combined with an open vane position you should be able to keep boost in check.

Bear in mind too that while more air = more pressure, more fuel = much more pressure.. without going stupid with the boost I don't think it'll be too critical.. 12-15 PSI is really low!
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles