Starting a new build

Started by Chewy1576, February 12, 2018, 07:34:30 PM

Rx7man

I've made plenty of those mistakes that have cost me hours of aggravation.. glad you got it figured out
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

hakcenter

Ya uh, I don't like using some of those identifiers, cause raisens
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Chewy1576

Going to need a lot of optimization, but it works.

Rx7man

as long as it's fast enough to do it, optimization can wait.. but the LCD's are really slow depending on the library you use..

Here was my thread about it on Arduino.cc.. I think a link to the library is in it
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=470153.0

Chewy1576

I think I found a pretty good LCD library, it may be the same one you mentioned. The issue was message send/receive timing between processors. I had to add a 25 ms delay between CAN writes for the LCD processor to grab each message and update accordingly. And rather than have a separate routine for LCD writes, I put them directly into the Switch Case for sorting the messages to the corresponding fourbyte.

Chewy1576

Starting to make some progress on the mechanical side of the swap...

Ordered the exhaust manifold adapter and started figuring out what i'm going to do about oil and coolant lines. I got ambitious and took the turbine housing off of the turbo, then I saw a big issue, the VGT nozzle vanes are bent and disintegrating. My guess is that they crashed into the plate in the turbine housing and jammed the actuator, that's why the kid I bought it from pulled it. The plus side is that there is still hope for the actuator, and I have already found a replacement "good" turbo that didn't have an actuator. Already tested the VGT movement with the turbine housing, it moves freely and smooth.

I've also lined up a shop to help build a custom tube from the air filter to the compressor inlet, custom upper intake tube and custom downpipe elbow. They will tune the ECM also.

On the controller, I got the thermocouple amplifier functioning. I also ordered pressure sensors for fuel, boost, and drive pressures and the go-live EGT probe. Some relays, inline fuse holders, and wires too so I can start building harnesses and plugs. I'm hoping to have the swap completed by the end of the summer.

Rx7man

Looks like a piece of foreign material went through there.. Piece of valve, piston, wrench, or something.... Don't laugh, it happens!

hakcenter

Dang that's where my 7/16 wrench went!

But seriously.. everything is metric, lol WTF
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Chewy1576

No doubt something went through it! He just said the VGT quit working, so he put a different turbo on. Oh well, I guess I have some spare parts in case something happens to the new one.

Rx7man

Quote from: hakcenter on July 06, 2018, 06:48:21 AM
Dang that's where my 7/16 wrench went!

But seriously.. everything is metric, lol WTF
If it was his 10mm he'd have looked for it and save himself a turbo maybe :P

Chewy1576

Making slow progress, but I guess it's still progress...

Turbo install parts are still being fabricated. The manifold adapter I had purchased put the turbo in a bad spot, it would hit the air filter box. So they designed and fabricated a taller, angled adapter to move the turbo up and toward the engine. The problem with that was that the intake and downpipe tubes were now wrong, so they needed to be redone.

The last few days I updated the 2.2.0 code to work with my CAN BUS library, and added the MAX31855 and the data sends to the LCD. It complies and uploads to the Uno. Working on pulling the data to populate the fourbytes for display. I need to get wiring started to get the actuator powered up and talking to the controller.

Quick question - where do I wire the shaft speed sensor to? I looked through the FreqMeasure lib and I think it said for an Uno board to use Pin 8? I just wanted to be sure.

Rx7man

yes, I think pin 8 is used for freqmeasure...

Progress is always slow on projects!

hakcenter

Pin8 in freqmeasure measures pwm from a 0-5v square wave.

Don't send the vr sensor directly to that pin. You'll need max9924

Rx7man

yes, VR sensors easily make 100V AC which will fry it instantly

Chewy1576

Wow... That hadn't even occurred to me... I ordered this guy for the VR conditioning - https://wtmtronics.com/product/mini-max-a2-signal-conditioner-vr/. It is based on a MAX9926, same as a MAX9924 but dual channel, so I have a spare channel if it ever stops working.