Testing the actuator without the controller?

Started by Turboedmav, September 27, 2018, 07:33:32 AM

Turboedmav

Is it possible to run some simple tests with a 12v source and/or a multimeter to find out whether an actuator is good or not?

I have the one installed on the HE300VG and an "orphan" from an HE351VE that I'd like to sell on eBay (but I want to know for sure if it's not fried)

Thanks...  :)

hakcenter

No way to really test it without sending it can commands.

I've ran across a few that powered up but didn't respond to commands.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

I think they move a little when they initially power up don't they?  Perhaps if you had the hot side off and tried to move the vanes while it's power vs unpowered you'd be able to tell that it's pushing back or not.. that's about all you can do.
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

hakcenter

Ya but all you'll know is the motor is good, not really the canbus side /shrug
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

Quote from: hakcenter on October 06, 2018, 06:25:03 PM
Ya but all you'll know is the motor is good, not really the canbus side /shrug
true indeed..
I don't know what the most common failure modes are on these.. I did see someone with a fried board, (was that Me23242?) that one certainly wouldn't move at all.
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

hakcenter

Turboedmav

Thanks for the replies guys... I guess I'll find out at least if the motors are good on my controllers, I have one from a HE351VE and the one on the HE300VG.