Through hole design

Started by hakcenter, April 17, 2015, 08:31:21 PM

hakcenter

I was wondering....

If anyone (i know there isn't a lot of people here yet) would think it would be a good use of my time, to design a through hole version of the lbb board ? Then people could put it together themselves if they wanted to save da $$

I'm pretty sure the MCP chips and the max have a through hole design, if not I know I can hand solder the uMAX10's to a converter board that could then be soldered onto the shield.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

Speaking just for myself, I think if it's a surface mount and done right, you're further ahead in the quality control department.
If you want to look up another "DIY" project related to automotives, look up "Megasquirt", it's a DIY standalone injection controller... I was actually thinking it may be a source of ideas on how to get around some timing problems, etc with the PWMs

Do you have access to a reflow soldering system or how are you working it out right now?
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

hakcenter

I sold my reflow, for a robust weller, since I never did enough reflowing... mostly just used it for scavenging old boards for bread components... haha

I have a ms in a 454 boat build I've done. Awesome stuff. I think there are a lot of DIY guys out there that might find value in a through hole setup, depending on whether they want something cheap/er, or if they want to be able to replace blown components.

Currently I'm just hand soldering them with my point tip weller, just flux the smd IC pads, setup the solder on them, clean it up, and seat the chips down. I did the uMAX10 which is insanely small, just have to have it lined up perfect cause the tip does like 2 pins, haha.

My big thing is, I would do a china manufacturing run, but its $$$, first you have to pay for the components which are like 30 a board, then pay to assemble it. Sure the rates start looking good at 100 units, but I don't have a kagillion dollars, and I don't have certainty 100 would ever sell ?
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

I don't have a decent soldering iron anymore (I have a pistol grip 100w Weller)..

we're in the same boat as far as money goes.  there is a company in Vancouver here my friend works for that does custom prototyping, but yeah, probably not cheap!.. I guess if you take care of the design that's a big part of it too...

So you're familiar with the MS.. my buddy powered his Rx7 with one, I spent the big bucks and got a Microtech... which wasn't particularly fond of.. the Holley commander 950 is alright, but not great for a rotary engine (2 sets of plugs that fire asynchronously).
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles