twin turbo he351ve control same can bus no problems

Started by 65fpvmustang, April 11, 2016, 08:50:18 PM

Rx7man

I look forward to updates on this as things go on... I love doing new and eccentric stuff myself.. I was thinking of putting a small turbo on my XR500, but the plumbing would have been too much of a nightmare with twin carbs and twin exhausts.. and I have enough trouble keeping a head gasket in it as it is :P

I think the turbos will be good for your application, though you may need wastegates in addition... Also, in an ideal world you may look for a compressor wheel that is designed to flow higher air volumes more efficiently at lower pressures... I don't think you will be able to make use of all the pressure these are capable of delivering, and if you can trade a little of that for volume it may be worth it.

Good luck with it all and keep us posted!
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

65fpvmustang

yep waste gates and higher flow compressor would be good.

punisher454

Ya, I already figured I'll need wastegates, since the DSM guys need them with this turbo on a 2.2 4cyl. IIRC once they started making boost they said that even if they opened up the turbine all the way it still kept climbing.
  I've got almost 3.5x the motor and only twice as much turbo as those guys.

I'll be starting with the standard HE351VE compressor and we'll see how that does for starters.
Right now I'm just using a cast crank/pistons 2-bolt stock 454 bottom end. I have a couple other 454's at my disposal and one of them is going to be used for a new 496 shortblock. Using a forged stroker crank, bad ass rods, forged blower pistons and of course splayed main caps. If it looks like the 454 needs bigger compressors then I'll probably do it when I swap out the shortblock later on.

But this car is a little on the backburner right now. I have 3 EFI conversions and a Northstar-Corvair swap lined up that have to get done first.
  I also may be installing an HE351VE in my fathers 96 1 ton chevy with a 454 vortec. He says he just wants about 5-6 PSI and he already has the turbo and a dodge intercooler that he wants to use.
Anyhow I better stop before I run this thread too far off the rails.       

hakcenter

I'm not sure on needing a wastegate, you won't be able to keep boost under 30psi, but surely shaft speed under 110k @ wide open no doubt.

My 5.9 can and will spool @ max open as well, but it can't get over 115 until 9k rpm
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

punisher454

wastegates for sure, I dont intend to run over 15 PSI. I'm trying to keep the HP under 1100. Above that and everything starts getting way more expensive than I want to deal with on this car.

Rx7man

Rx7man

Here's what I've been looking at for a primary.. pipe dream.. cattle prices are down so I'm just window shopping
Garrett GT4202R Turbo

65fpvmustang

I have data logs of shaft speed kissing 130k on a 2.3  32psi manifold pressure around 37psi at compressor outlet
If I ever build a exhaust manifold that does not leak i'll put the waste gate back on.