I think I'm going to re-engineer the LBB

Started by hakcenter, February 08, 2016, 08:19:00 AM

hakcenter

Okay so now a diode does work, lol and a PNP transistor. Go figure. On the fence about which one to use.

What's interesting is I had always thought RX was pulled down, and TX went high for serial communication ?

Arduino RX o---->|--o BT TX

Which I guess the more I think about it, is why the PNP works.. and the NPN doesn't LOL
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

hakcenter

Going to be able to reprogram the BT module.. change master / slave / pin anything etc... took a bit to write that up.. LOL
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

I don't have anything I'd connect it to.

I'm still with 1.6.7 as well I think.. It does all I need, I don't see a reason to mess with what works... Besides, I use Atmel Studio since Arduino IDE is far too primitive... I like autocomplete and member function suggestions
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

hakcenter

Well everything is finished. Time to get the bom and get quotes.

Bluetooth is going to be pretty nice

hakcenter

Well rats, the HC-05 isn't compatible with iOS... so I'm working on getting a HM-10 asap.. at least the pin footprint is the same, just the location of pins is different... aaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

Rx7man

Get an android phone if iOS is the problem :P

me78569

2000 Dodge 2500 quad-cab 5.9 Cummins slt, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr iquad, 4" tbe , pureflow 150 gph. he351ve in the works 100hp DFI inj

hakcenter

What do you think I own ? lol

I don't want to put a pinch on potential customers though.

Rx7man

haha...

Gotta say, kinda funny that iOS wouldn't work though.

hakcenter

Because it doesn't support BLE, which is the first thing I'll turn off on the HM-10 anyways LOL

hakcenter

Alright well with much fooling around I'm at a standstill.

I can make the thing work with the HC-05 leave it for users to re-program the unit, etc etc etc. Then you have a basic SPP over bluetooth. You can program via Arduino IDE over the bluetooth com port.. no issues.. 100% awesome. But no iOS.

OR an HM-10 that is BLE, which can only communicate via GATT basically (there is no serial port). You can pair to Android/iOS no issue, even to Windows... but there's no specific serial communication. It's a make your own kind of thing. There's a a guy that can program Arduino IDE over iOS through some very wonky setup.

Basically software reads his computer files, then iOS uploads that over to the BLE device and you can actually program an Arduino that way...

What I really need is some kind of magic VCP for GATT to make that work on windows. So you get a serial port, when you connect it does the BLE thing... then you can do everything............

However the protocol IMHO pretty much sucks butt. 10bytes at a time, 100kbps bandwidth...

I think I'm just going to leave the HC-05 on it and call it a day.. and tell iOS that it needs to get its shit together.

I wouldn't mind BLE if I could figure out a way to program through my damn Arduino interface but I can't find a magic VCP for gatt and I don't want to go through the trouble of making something. I just want it to work and I really don't want to make a custom iOS / Android app that is limited to what it can program via bluetooth just for the sake of adding iOS support.

Rx7man

That's the spirit.. LOL

I've been doing a lot of thinking in the last while about how to do things.. It's one of my big problems, I like things to have too many features right from the start, and get bogged down with it... On the other hand I don't want to have to recode *everything* because of one stupid thing that needs to be implemented.

hakcenter

It wouldn't be an issue if I wanted to close off development down to just myself... then the specific code would have to be uploaded via USB.. call it firmware at that point. Then the app on your phone / tablet updates variables.. that the firmware sets up...

Can't really.. do your own thing..

I don't really want that at all. What if someone wants to make some cool LCD display or integration.. etc
I want to be responsible for as little as possible.

I am going to toss the paired LED onto ADC5, so the Arduino can know if its connected via bluetooth. Can't really tell if its connected by USB since it would be installed to the car... and you can't tell 5v vs 12v without a diode blah blah blah setup on the whole arduino thing, and I really am just getting tired breading this thing out LOL.

Rx7man

You have more patience than I!... I do know how frustrating some of this stuff can be.. I had just experienced it with the Max31856 boards... Something as stupid as not setting ALL the cable selects to HIGH causes uninitialized devices to respond, gibbling up all your data

hakcenter

Uhg right ? now to see some assembled prices, they don't look too bad per unit. Some certainly WAY more than others but it makes me question the quality of the ultra cheap guys.