Beginner starting point

Started by Off-road, February 11, 2018, 07:38:37 PM

Off-road

Hey guys,

I am looking at putting a vgt back on my truck; I just scored a he351vgt for 250 shipped with about 110k miles on it; looking to set it up differently than I did last time. 

Last time I used the banshee 2 controller from steed speed and absolutely hated it.  Couldn't get it to tune and just hated it. 

Looking at going with the arduino board and controlling it that route.  A friend of mine, me##### suggested the lbb 2.0.  But I'm not sure what all I want to do.  What are the advantages of either setups that you offer?  Disadvantages?  I'm not afraid of fab work, or wiring.  And I want to learn coding as well; this may be the project to do it on.....

The install:  it will be going on a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 with the cummins and a 6-speed manual.  The truck has currently: mbrp dual exhaust, arp head studs, BHAF, airdog 150, quadzilla adrenaline with iQuad and v2 using a iPad mini to run it, and South bend dual disc clutch. 

I have 7x.010" injectors that will be installed with the turbo; should match well with it and help it light super fast.  I am looking for as close to zero smoke as I can get.  I want a clean truck. 

What I think I need to buy is the shield and an arduino board, the connectors and supporting wiring, and possibly some sort of Bluetooth dongle.  Am I on the right path?  I have a European android phone that I can use for tuning the turbo; but what else is needed?  Thanks in advance guys!!!

hakcenter

If you want to go the cheapy route, ya you can get a shield, get an arduino, find a bluetooth shield with a hc-05 on it, wire some pins and use the standalone code on it.

You'll need a harness, I've got a few in now, I just need to take some pictures, glamorize them, and add them to the store.

I would suggest however to go the standalone route, mostly cause it has all that you want, and is in a protective case. Where as if you go arduino + shield (DIY) you'll need to figure out what you're going to do mounting wise, etc. My standalone has been in my glovebox for over a year, really no issues other than burning up the 328 (all units are socketed so easy to replace the PIC)
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Off-road

Hakcenter-

Thanks for the fast reply!

I've looked at both just didn't know which was better/ which route makes install the cleanest.....

Honestly I'd be more interested in buying the standalone with a not pre-terminated harness.  I usually either end up with miles of extra harness or too short when people pre terminate them; and I would like to not have issues with that....

Also it your enclosure weather tight? Or would it need to be mounted inside the cab? 

hakcenter

Cab install, water tight USB is quite expensive. The harness is 6ft long, and is more like a pigtail, ie the turbo end is unfinished so you can add/trim button up.

If you're absolutely 100% want to do your own harness here's what you'll need:
Connector - x1 - https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-39-01-2160
Pins - x16 - https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-39-00-0078

Pin out : v2_0 [Lil' Blackbox]

The pin out is looking directly at the female.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Off-road

Rx7man

Quote from: Off-road on February 12, 2018, 09:42:22 AM
Do you have a pm ability? 

Little message icon down there somewhere.. Welcome!  I run a pretty custom setup but love how it works!

<<------
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles