Busted my sheild help.

Started by Chummins, August 29, 2018, 07:18:57 PM

Chummins

So was waiting for so long to use this controller, finally got my engine in the truck, and I'm pretty sure I fryed my brand new sheild.
I Used the pin numbers stamped on the header plug and not the header itself.  So basically it was wired reversed and I was feeding 12v and ground to the can bus  :(....   so I repined the plug correctly and re test. The ardunio powers up but yeah nothing works still as expected .  I'm assuming i fried the Shield .the controller seems ok. I can read and write no problem.  is there any self test i can do? Any way of checking the ic's? I know the VR ic (ic2) got hot .  At this point im just hopping the actuator on the turbo is ok.  let me know what i can do or test to see what I can replace or do I have a expensive paper weight.   :'(
Thanks
00 GMC CCSB classic 12valve P-pump/nv4500
04 legacy i with Full JDM Bp5/ej20y swap
88 Silverado RCLB W/corvette 350 TPI/700r4
Nothing stays stock here! 🏁😆🏁

hakcenter

Hmm I'll reply a bit later just letting you know I'm here. Just really busy.

What pins went to what when you first wired it ?
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Chummins

thanks for the response, I basically used the numbers on the header plug .  so it ended up like this on the  header it self.   
pin 1,Bat + . pin 9 ,Gnd. Pin 8, can L . Pin 16 Can H.  pin 4 and 5 are VR sensor and were not mixed up.

I noticed the VR IC got realy hot , but I did power it up 3or4 times for a few seconds , the first being to longest at about 1min.  I didn't check any of the resistors or diodes to see if there done , nothing looks burnt or damage , just no response/action to the turbo.  and its stuck wide open @ 0 boost  :o

PM me if youd like also , ill check more often tomorrow.
What would be the lead time for a new shield?(trying to avoid that tho) 
Thanks
Cheers

hakcenter

I have parts on hand to make another shield ATM so maybe a couple days, to get another out. Most likely that MCP chip is toast.

Check R6 to see if it's still 60ohm, and if it has a short to ground on either side.
Also check R6 to any part(s) of R3, that could be your VR problem.

The good news is you didn't + the ground bus. Also there really isn't anything near those traces and they are plated to 024 (oversized) however 60ohm probably not enough depending on how long it was hooked up this way.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Chummins

R6 to gnd = 3.14 ohms  / r6 to r3 8.09 ohms. R3 to gnd = .8 ish.
R6 is measuring 60ohms