HE351 code for me78569

Started by me78569, June 11, 2015, 09:38:57 AM

me78569

Dunno yet.  I haven't run the Boost map code with the new injectors.  The Boost map wasn't really that "notchy" but I can tell the rpm mode is more versital.

I screwed up the top end stuff.  I spooled the turbo to quickly and got the rpms over the top limit and boost just dropped (as the code says it should).

I will have to retest tomorrow with the fix to what I screwed up haham
2000 Dodge 2500 quad-cab 5.9 Cummins slt, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr iquad, 4" tbe , pureflow 150 gph. he351ve in the works 100hp DFI inj

me78569

Yet more questions. 

I see you are starting timers at the start of the main sections and finishing then calc the time spent; however I don't see them being used anywhere?

What are they for?
2000 Dodge 2500 quad-cab 5.9 Cummins slt, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr iquad, 4" tbe , pureflow 150 gph. he351ve in the works 100hp DFI inj

hakcenter

LBB Common Code

Quote from: hakcenter on April 16, 2015, 09:38:02 PM
[...]

const boolean millis_out = false; -- adds time per function into serial output

[...]

they are for debugging mostly, if you want to see how fast code is running in specific spots.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

me78569

figured that was the case.

Do anyone have a drive pressure gauge running your setup or am I the only one? 

I can't run the 860 start curve without sky high drive/boost ratio.  I am running 100 injectors and no tuner now, I was wondering how my experience compares to others?

I should do a video.

Bdubb'z

I run a modified curve 4 on my common rail, but definitely start at 860, it still blows a little smoke, but I'm also a manual trans.  Need it closed up after each shift.  Been towing heavy and light with mine for thousands and thousands of miles now, all over the western us.  Working good on my setup.  My worse case is around 2:1 down low there.   

me78569

at what point down low so I need to start considering the ratio?  If I start at 860 I can easily build 7 psi of drive and 1-2 psi of boost. 

Does it really matter that the ratio is so high at very little boost? 

As soon as I switch positions over and start at 800 boost to drive stays closer to 2:1 then less as I start getting higher in the boot range.

hakcenter

No offense but do you really care about any drive pressure under 30 psi, regardless of the boost pressure ? Drive pressure should be under 2:1 at 15~psi or so.

Shouldn't really matter at all unless you actually feel the position loading the motor on your butt dyno. Which is what I primarily use the cruise button for, when I'm tuning a curve. curve 4 should get the turbo up to speed and stay within 700s once its at 20k. If its under that you're not really driving probably just parking lot crap.
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

me78569

That's what I was asking haha.  Figured that was the case, but I figure it is better to ask a dumb question than do something dumb.  I didn't know if there could be bearing issues by having so much pressure on one side.

I do however feel the motor loading with position starting under 7ish cm,

I am working to code my stuff to "snap" the turbo closed for a second like cummins/dodge does on take off.  I really like how it is working so far, but i need some more butt dyno time.  I am seeing a lot more overspooling conditions without WOT so I am thinking I am driving the turbo to hard.

Side note what did you use to qualify the overspeed rpm you have?  I am looking at some hx40 maps trying to figure out where I should be trying to have the turbo sit at.

hakcenter

It's an hx40 wheel, so 130k is maximum. Obviously dudes have gone to 45psi on this turbo so it goes higher, but holset max is 130k

The lbb code goes to 0 @ 132k, it should walk from 130 to 132 to 0 though..  but the 132k is a catch all.

Now I've seen a truck that was obviously equipped with a he351ve.... stock at the metals warehouse I visit for cheap scraps... and his motor immediately loaded up to turbo whistle.. 900s imho, while barely touching the throttle.

The only real way to smooth out the transition to 20k is to raise the idle position, or lower the value. You should be able to idle in the 700s, it isn't loud. I would use it but it was too much of a pain to adjust the turbo to come back down to idle in that so I just left the code in a more module way.

Personally once my truck is back officially on the road, I'll be idling atleast in the 600s

Rx7man

I've been thinking about this, and I was going to make it so that it really doesn't spool at idle much, and if you do want it to spool at idle, just hit the jake switch which will then close it up and spool it... I was thinking of trying to maintain a constant drive pressure on it mapped to different RPM's.. eg 5 PSI at idle to 1250, then quickly ramp up to what you'd need to actually slow the vehicle down, like 40-60 psi
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

me78569

Alright I have spent some time driving /testing and I think I have the "snap" upon take off working well.  this does require that a TPS sense wire is in place.

/*  This code is put in place to control an HE351ve turbo using Turbo RPM and other inputs.
*  Sections of this code, including but not limited to the rpm based vane position calculations, Freq Measure, and
*  Timer setup are thanks to Curtis R Hacker at lilbb.com and his RPM based HE351vgt arduino shield.

*  This work is licensed under the
*  Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
*  To view a copy of this license,
*  visit [url=http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/]Creative Commons — Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
— CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 [/url].
*/

/////////////////////////////POS Manage////////////////////////////////////////
void PosManage() {
      if (turbo_rpm <= curve_rpm[4]) {
        if (ThrottlePosition < 2) {  // Idle Section
            if(turbo_rpm <= idle_rpm) {
             vane_position = idle_position;
             idle_mode = true;
             idle_walkdown_mode = false;
          } else {
            if (turbo_rpm <= idle_walkdown_rpm) { idle_walkdown_mode = true; } else { idle_walkdown_mode = false; }
            if (idle_walkdown_mode) { vane_position = constrain((final_vane_position - 10),idle_position-two_cm, 800); }
            idle_mode = false;
          }
        }else {
          // -----
          // Curve section
               if (turbo_rpm <= curve_rpm[0]) { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, idle_rpm , curve_rpm[0], 875, turbo_curve[0]);} //turbo_curve[0];}
          else if (turbo_rpm <= curve_rpm[1]) { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, curve_rpm[0], curve_rpm[1], turbo_curve[0], turbo_curve[1]);}
          else if (turbo_rpm <= curve_rpm[2]) { vane_position = turbo_curve[1];}
          else if (turbo_rpm <= curve_rpm[3]) { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, curve_rpm[2], curve_rpm[3], turbo_curve[1], turbo_curve[2]);}
          else { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, curve_rpm[3], curve_rpm[4], turbo_curve[2], turbo_curve[3]);}
        }
      } else if (turbo_rpm < top_end_rpm) {
        vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, curve_rpm[4], top_end_rpm, turbo_curve[3], turbo_curve[4]);
      } else {

if (turbo_rpm <= 126000) { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, top_end_rpm, 126000, turbo_curve[4], 500);}
          else if (turbo_rpm <= 130000) { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, 126000, 130000, 500, 300);}
          else { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, 130000, 132000, 300, min_position);}
        }
        // Overrun protection
       if (turbo_rpm > 132000) { vane_position = 0;}   
}

The only other thing you will need is Offidle_position = (whatever you want it to snap to); in the variable setup.  I have mine set to 875 and it seems to work well. 

I have also adjusted the upper rpm section as I am still having issues with overspinning the turbo.  I will need to tinker with it more, but for the meantime it works pretty good.  The rpm based is starting to really shine compared to the boost map. 

me78569

I am trying to tune the top end now.  I was running the top end positions from the 1.1 code, but if I held the throttle at %50 I would overspin the turbo faster than I can type overspin.   

Are you not having issues with that when you run 1.1?  I can't get it to hold over 25-30 psi without the vanes jumping to 0 due to overspin.

1.1 as you know is
else {
               if (performance_mode && turbo_rpm <= 125000) { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, top_end_rpm, 125000, turbo_curve[4] + performance_position, 580); }
          else if (turbo_rpm <= 126000) { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, top_end_rpm, 126000, turbo_curve[4], 580); }
          else if (turbo_rpm <= 130000) { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, 126000, 130000, 580, 400); }
          else { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, 130000, 132000, 400, min_position); }
        }

I am now matching what bduzz has for his topend, but I haven't tested yet.   

} else if (turbo_rpm < top_end_rpm) {
        vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, curve_rpm[4], top_end_rpm, turbo_curve[3], turbo_curve[4]);
      } else {
{
               if (turbo_rpm <= 126000) { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, top_end_rpm, 126000, turbo_curve[4], 300); }
          else if (turbo_rpm <= 130000) { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, 126000, 130000, 300, 100); }
          else { vane_position = map(turbo_rpm, 130000, 132000, 100, min_position); }
        }

I really need to run my boostmap code with rpm display to see what shaft speed is in that code.  I was trying to hold the exhaustpressure at 50psi on the topend. :o little worried what I was doing haha.

hakcenter

Well my clutch never held so it may be too steep at the tip top

me78569

Even with the much more open top end I am overspeeding the turbo.  It's better, but still unable to do a WOT run without the vanes jumping open and boost falling off. 

Maybe I need to have the curve adjust with throttle input also.

hakcenter

Does it ever come back down? You can over shoot it and it should walk back in and settle