Main Menu

My life, My coding

Started by Rx7man, May 27, 2015, 09:09:36 AM

hakcenter

I have the big single ceramic, and while it works, I absolutely hate it.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

What do you dislike about it? what kind of power is it rated for?  Is it just grabby?
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

hakcenter

I'm pretty much forced to start in 1st cause it just bucks and bangs trying 2nd. Not made to slip, its on/off

I was going to do a g56 swap but the guy near me just stopped communicating with me so I gave up
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

I heard if you get them good and hot a couple times they become a little nicer.. Buddy has a bronze LUK clutch and it's pretty grabby too.. I find the SB I have could be more grabby.. I did have it slip on me once when I was shifting under load

Rx7man

Wow.. Really impressed with Southbend...
I'm getting a complete new clutch, not even paying shipping, and it's 4 years old.. Thumbs up to them!

hakcenter

Ya everyone seems to have the ultra luck dealing with SB for whatever reason, but my emails get no response. Probably cause I'm filtered @hacker for a last name :(

Rx7man

haha!  Closest name I've seen to yours is one of my friends, Hackerott

Rx7man

Well, it's sounding like there's going to be a 1/8th mile drag race in town here in a month... I think I might go flog on my truck a little bit!.. I'm going to have to connect up the linelock electrics, toss a set of single tires on it, and make a 'staging' mode for the turbo.. Perhaps I'll slack off the star wheel too and borrow my buddy's bigger injectors and see what kind of time I can put down.... What do you guys think is possible?.. I'm only really familiar with 1/4 mile times, and I figure I should be able to do about a 15 second 1/4 mile...

Rx7man

I think I may have found a way to operate solenoid at a reasonable PWM frequency.. I'm thinking about a minimum increment of 5ms...

I'll have a timer expire every 5ms and increment a counter from 1 to 100 in 5's, then when you want to pulse the valve, you just check to see if your desired PWM % is greater than the counter value.. Resolution isn't great, but it's sufficient to control most valves, especially if a feedback loop is incorporated.

I came up with the idea (I'm sure I could have googled the same one) when I wanted to blink indicator lights at different rates, I incremented a counter at 50ms from 0 to 7.. a slow, even blink is if it's greater than 3, a slow blink with a long "ON" time is if it's greater than 1.. a fast blink is if modulus 2 == 1.. you can do other combinations too with minimal overhead.  I just made a few global boolean values that store the status, and then use them wherever I need it.. so far so good :)

Rx7man

Figured out how to use an interrupt to increment the counter, so it's steady.. I currently have it so it's got about a 2.5% resolution, which is good enough for controlling an AFC ;) 

Now I'm going to go to town and see what I can do for tuning the staging mode

Here's the interrrupt code.. Blinks LED13 according to Analog input 1

#include <TimerOne.h>
volatile int T1clicks;
int T1tickResolution = 40;

int LED = 13;

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
Timer1.initialize(2000);
Timer1.attachInterrupt(T1ISR);
pinMode(LED, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
SetPWM(LED, (analogRead(A1)/10));
}
void T1ISR(){
  T1clicks +=1;
  if (T1clicks > T1tickResolution){
    T1clicks = 0;
  }
}
  void SetPWM(int Pin, int Percent){
    digitalWrite(Pin, (float(T1clicks)/float(T1tickResolution) *100) < (Percent));

}

Rx7man

Advanced my timing today.. checked valve lash, was pretty loose, went to 8/16 on it (it was about 12/22 before)

Rx7man

Been a while since I updated.. been too busy with kitchen renos to do a whole lot of tinkering, finished today (took 2 months)

I know I posted these in another thread, but I'll put them here.. Truck turned a lot of heads at the 1/8th mile drags, best time was 10.055@75mph
Knew I had no chance against this, but I did get him on the 60'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YChXQXOBAEo

Poor old chevy gas job slept at the light and it only got worse from there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV2okbWAclU

Other than that, I blew the head gasket in my newer XR500, so it came apart.. total clusterfuck job of a rebuild done by the last shop, if they could screw it up they did... As if it wasn't bad enough they stripped the head bolts from the cylinder (the reason for the blown head gasket), they helicoiled them and DID IT AGAIN :banghead:  I took the cylinder from my old XR500, and it had water pitting in there, so wasn't that great, then I was told I could swap the sleeves.. Just heat them in the oven to 300F and they just fall off.. worked like a charm.
Of course I wanted better power, so I did a little head and valve work.. the old bike will never run again so I had lots of parts to play with.. decided I was going to see if I could grind the cam for better lift and duration... did a LOT of figuring to see how much I could increase the cam lift before the valves would bottom out and reground it.. added about 5* duration on either side of center for each lobe and .040" lift on the exhaust, .080" on the intake..  Next I'll see if I can lower the cylinder to increase the compression a little bit, will have to watch valve/piston clearances though... Anyhow, hopefully it gives it a little more oomph at the top end when I'm done, might sound a little raspy.
XR400 with the bad tranny is also going to be getting redone (blew 3rd gear 2 weeks after I bought it). as well as a set of rings in the XR100 farm bike, it just smokes sooo bad now.. bike is a total wreck but it gets me from point a to point b.

The truck.. well.. hopefully I can find a 3.55 rear end gear set and then I can do the 6 speed swap this fall and flog it on the dyno.. looking at a methanol kit from Devils Own.. will require about 20gph so I'm thinking of splitting it with a 5 and 15 GPH nozzle... Still haven't gotten around to backing my timing down.. runs well enough where it is and I'm lazy/busy.
On the arduino front, I'm looking at making a better, neater setup, got some 12pin aviation connectors which will connect to the box neatly, and on the inside I got a screw terminal board with a little prototyping space, on which I will have some 12V-5V step down IO's in both digital and analog flavors so I can read battery voltage, 3 axis accelerometer, compass and gyro, 8 channel Mosfet output which should be able to control the methanol solenoid and pump, interface for the R-Pi head unit, which will require 3.3-5V conversion unless I find a CAN bus controller for it (which I'd rather).

On the farm? well, haying is all done for the year, probably shipping calves out next Monday, they're eating me out of house and home.. The 4 replacement heifers I have look really good and behave correctly, hopefully they do well.. Here's one of them *really* enjoying a neck scratching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhnygvK46zA

That's all folks!

Rx7man

Picked up another HE351ve with no actuator from a 2012 for $200.. figure if anything piles up in mine it would be handy to have a spare around, and if I really wanted to I could play with an air or oil actuator on it.. Meanwhile the guy I bought it from does a lot of work and has access to the Cummins tools, so I might bring my truck in to him and get him to set the actuator to "Learn" mode, but what he won't know is that the Arduino will log all his commands and the replies from the turbo so I can do it myself later *snicker*

Rx7man

ONE MORE TIME.. working on a frontend for my version... I'm not going to get into the R-Pi just yet... building it in VB.net.. My laptop has an HDMI port which i can interface to the 7" touchscreen, so I'll start with that.. I'm really not having much luck fine tuning without a HUD that shows me exactly what's going on, and which compensators are active and a good readout of the stats... I'm trying to make it at least half pretty with changing colors depending on values... Yeah, I'm probably going to scrap it all again at some point.  Then I gotta figure out the serial interface again.. it's been a year since I looked at it.

Also, I'm getting a bunch more crap off ebay... going to get a couple more Arduinos.. 2 dues and 2 more Megas.. they're so darned cheap now.. I have a 9 axis accelerometer/gyro/compass, humidity/temp sensors, barometric pressure sensors, GPS, HC06 bluetooth, SD card readers, and real time clocks, and some 20x4 LCD displays. of course not just for this project!

hakcenter

I would ditch that hc06 for an hc05, going to be happier with it, just fyi *wink*

You'll also need to do some garbage collecting on the serial interface, if you parse any information before bluetooth connection.. etc

ie: startup values and whatnot

The hc buffer is pretty large :D