Possible To Control The Actuator Motor With Just a CAN Shield & Arduino?

Started by samirakle, June 06, 2021, 04:20:48 PM

samirakle

I seem to be treading into a ghost forum as of right now. I probably won't get a response but if anybody sees this I'm hoping that I can be pointed in the right direction:

What I'd basically like to do is send CAN bus commands to the actuator with an Arduino and some coding. Is this possible or do I need to hook up a bunch of other hardware?

I'm thinking of just sending can bus commands through the J1939 data lines that would just command the motor the rotate in either direction at different angles/values.

I've tried to make sense of the code provided here but I'm not very code savvy. I can't seem to figure out where this function "send_turbo_position(data)" came from as I can't see where it's been defined. I'm assuming this is what stores the PGN, SPN, and data to be transmitted to the actuator?

Thanks in advance!

hakcenter

I wouldn't try too hard deconstructing the code if you can find the function methods  :o

It's not dead here just very very slow. There was a dead year, and now everyone wants a 351ve back on their vehicles and I guess I'm the last option left now :D
Waiting on manufacturers to finish the next unit run /shrug
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

Rx7man

I watch the forums here, though i"m low on the totem pole :P
you can control the actuator with just a can shield and arduino, but you'll be missing the VR sensor input in particular to sense turbine speed which is an important part of the Lilbb code
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

Muffinzs

hakcenter are you doing both shields and standalone in this run?

hakcenter

Quote from: Muffinzs on June 08, 2021, 09:11:53 PM
hakcenter are you doing both shields and standalone in this run?

I have shields being made right now, they are baron only. No one wants to put them together for me, which is why I designed them with through-hole

I'm having a problem with the standalones at the moment
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

samirakle

Quote from: hakcenter on June 06, 2021, 10:18:36 PM
I wouldn't try too hard deconstructing the code if you can find the function methods  :o

It's not dead here just very very slow. There was a dead year, and now everyone wants a 351ve back on their vehicles and I guess I'm the last option left now :D
Waiting on manufacturers to finish the next unit run /shrug

Ah so you guys ARE alive! Nice! Well, I ended up figuring out the CAN bus commands for the calibration procedure. Not sure what the other options I tried really do, especially since I didn't have it bolted onto an actual turbo yet.

I'd like to be able to test the actuators for calibration functionality on a bench now. With my lack of coding experience/knowledge that's probably going to take me a while though 😬

Quote from: Rx7man on June 07, 2021, 12:54:06 AM
I watch the forums here, though i"m low on the totem pole :P
you can control the actuator with just a can shield and arduino, but you'll be missing the VR sensor input in particular to sense turbine speed which is an important part of the Lilbb code

Yep, I think I've succeeded in sending a single repetitive command to the actuator at this point. I'd like to be able to control the position of the motor manually with just code. Although, using a pot would be even cooler.

Rx7man

to get anything meaningful from the actuator, it's gotta be on the turbo, and you can have the turbine housing off and watch it move if you like

should be pretty easy to make it controllable with just a pot
'94 dually,  67/67 HE351VE, NV5600, ~600hp
'93 ECLB 47RH, new toy truck, H pump project, 1000hp goal, 300K miles
93 XCLB auto, bone stock, 350K miles
93 XCLB 5spd, bone stock, 100K miles

decathect

I've got a setup ready to go on my truck, at this point i'd take either the standalone or the shield if those will be more readily available!

hakcenter

Shields are up and available in self assembly options only. I do not have the time to solder anything together.