6.4 Compound VGT control?

Started by JakeS, March 20, 2023, 11:12:35 PM

JakeS

Hey guys I'm wondering if I can get some expert advice on possibly controlling the VGT on a 6.4 compound setup. I have a 2008 Ford f350 with a 97 p-pump 12 valve Cummins in it. I have everything figured out as far as mounting and design except how to control the VGT, it's the only thing holding me back. Wondering if the standalone would work for but I do understand turbine rpm is a big part in tuning, so any advice would be awesome.

I know it's very impractical 😂 but would be sweet to pop the hood and see it haha.

hakcenter

For compounding you'll need a wastegate.

Wastegate will have to be setup by boost / back pressure.

It can certainly be done. You'll need to tune the top end accordingly as it'll probably surge with the current ramps. It's pretty easy to see how it's setup in the code though.

I know it's probably more complicated but why not twin VGTs ? I thought it would be pretty sweet to control two VGTs with a single controller through canbus and basically just double up the sizes.

920 for idle and re-tune the whole middle / top end.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

JakeS

Ok I do not have a wastegate yet. The turbos that came off the 6.4 power stroke are a compound unit with a VGT on the high pressure turbo the plug for the actuator has power/ground and 2 canbus inputs. The turbos don't have a rpm sensor, so would I be able to control it off back pressure and boost? Or do I need throttle position as well?

I'm sorry I'm pretty new to the whole tuning and canbus setup trying to understand it. Compound VGTs would probably sound insane on spool up might be an idea lol