Controlling PWM Actuator

Started by SynViks, April 06, 2023, 10:58:29 PM

SynViks

I was thinking about using one of these to control an S300V turbo from John Deere. It accepts a 128HZ PWM signal with duty cycle specifying vane position. There's also a UART signal that comes out of it that I've yet to decode. The actuator's setup such that it doesn't really need calibration (duty cycle bounds are defined in the arduino).

New to the Arduino environment... wondering what would be involved with modifying the code on this controller to interface with the actuator via PWM?

hakcenter

https://www.muffu.fi/controlling-a-hella-vnt-actuator-with-pwm/

You should be able to use the perf output, (pin 5) as a pwm output to accomplish this.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

SynViks

Actually after some further digging... this actuator is controlled per the John Deere wiring diagram with "UART". It does respond to PWM control via the unused PWM wire though.

Actuator is made by Delphi and per patent 6,864,788 B2 looks like this actuator might also accept CAN bus.

Did Delphi also design the Holset actuator? If my actuator does respond to CAN input, perhaps the commands used for the Holset actuator would work?

hakcenter

Can operation needs to be sniffed to verify how the turbo actually works.

For the holset actuator it takes all the same information between the units. Same address. Etc.

Garrett is undoubtably going to be different.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.