HE351ve on 3.0l diesel - rpm curve and idle set points

Started by 606lyfe, August 20, 2021, 06:31:46 AM

606lyfe

Hi all

Have a HE351ve with a larger turbine wheel installed running on a 3.0l inline 6 revving to around 6krpm and a target of 2.4bar boost

Turbo speed at Idle is 3krpm - have set idle to 5k and walkdown to 10k - do these values sound right?

The curve (4) stock values make the turbo very laggy building boost, more or less doesn't spool at all - assuming I need to close the vanes up somewhat to account for less exhaust gas flow at low rpm

I have tried altering the position values to higher numbers retaining the stock turbo rpm vales / setpoints

This results in initial boost being built until a point where the vanes suddenly open and it drops right off - it then oscillates between vanes closed and open.

Is this the controller overshooting because the values used are too high?

Would anyone happen to have some pointers for setting custom rpm curve and position values?

How do the turbo rpm curve and position values interact with the idle values?

Appreciate and help or advice you guys might have.

hakcenter

If you could post a log of the runs, even just the full output from the controller over your run that'd be beneficial to see what it's doing.

Walkdown RPM needs to be above the RPM the turbo idles at when it's already off idle.

Idle POS = 40
The first value for your curve, say 600.

When your motor is idling, and vane position is 600, whatever the RPM of the turbo is, say 8k. You'd want walkdown to be 9k then, so when the turbo finally spins down under 9k, the controller then will start to walk it down to full open.
TS2009 Deḇarim 8:2
"And you shall remember that יהוה your Elohim led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you, prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you guard His commands or not.

606lyfe

Thanks for the reply, very helpful - I'll take a look and see if I can run some logs of the output to get a clearer picture of whats happening